Sunday, February 1, 2009

Red Nite

Gong Xi Fa Cai to everyone! It's still not too late to wish you all this, since we technically celebrate it for 15 days. Even as I write this, I can hear the drums going and the lions dancing in my neighbour's open house. And just last night during our youth meeting, we were all scrambling around the whole hall looking for angpows! Heard Adriel collected 3!

We labelled the nite 'Red Nite' (sometimes we are not very original, but it's cool) and everyone turned out in red.. or pink. Some clueless one came wearing white (she just came back from Lahad Datu ba, so can't blame her, I guess) and another guy came wearing blue (he changed to a superman shirt ~ behind a stack of chairs - I thought Superman changes in a telephone booth?) but it was all in good fun. And the topic for the night? "Superstitions during CNY". I think I was laughing too much but hopefully I'll remember most of the questions, correct me if I'm wrong k?

Ps Lydia was the speaker and she started the ball rolling with passing the angpow game. With the angpow came a question which you had to answer, failing which you would have to pass your angpow to the person with the correct answer. (in random order)

1. Why do you need to bath with pomelo leaves during CNY eve?
A. To 'buang sial' lo..

1a. Why, of all the fruit, do you use pomelo leaves? Why not banana leaves or something?
A. It's cos the pomelo is round enough to 'buang sial'... go figure..

2. Why do kids need to stay up during CNY eve? (aiya.. this one no one knows.. but a lot of shooting in the dark)
A. So that their parents will live long and healthy lives (something in the translation)

3. Why can't you sweep the floor during 1st day of CNY?
A. So you don't sweep away the luck. (so how come only the dust on the 1st day is lucky? The other 364 days' dust is well.... dust?)

4. Why do you let off firecrackers?
A. To scare away the beast called 'Nian', who's afraid of loud noises and I think the colour red. That's why it's called 'Guo Nian' (past the beast).

5. Why is it only married persons give angpow?
A. Ah.. this answer is KIV until AD JY finds out.. hahaha..

I can only think of these 5 questions offhand but I think it was a really interesting night and we learnt some new things!

p/s. It has been an interesting and enjoyable holiday for everyone, but tomorrow we go back to school, and work, sigh.. hope everyone had a good collection of angpows! Have a great week ahead guys!

No comments: