Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Story of Bob - Part 6

Art felt sick to his guts that Bob was back, never mind that he hadn't seen Bob for ages. He was furious that dad actually threw a party for Bob. He knew that the fattened calf was for honoured guests.. and dad slaughtered the calf for that good for nothing Bob? "To think that I slaved and toiled for that old man? To earn my inheritance, to earn my keep, but dad never said anything, never appreciated my hard work!" thought Art as he left the building.

He heard hurried footsteps behind him as he continued walking. "Art, wait," shouted his dad as he ran after his eldest son. This again is mind boggling, that a parent would run after his son. It is just not the norm in Jewish households! "Don't go, Art, come and join us, Bob is back and we must rejoice!" said dad as he caught up with Art. Art lost his temper as he turned back to face his dad and with a raised voice said, "Everyday I've been slaving in the fields, tending to the livestock and never once, NOT ONCE, did I complain, yet you never even gave me a young goat to celebrate with my friends, " Art was livid now. With veins popping in his face he continued, "yet when that no good son of yours came back, after wasting his inheritance on sex, booze and party, you didn't scold him, nor did you even rebuke him, but you THREW A PARTY FOR HIM?" Art was practically foaming in the mouth as he shouted at his dad! "Where is the logic in that, dad?"

"My son," Dad said, with compassion in his eyes, "you are always with me, and what I have is yours, but we had to be glad because we lost Bob, now he's found again."

To be continued...

No comments: