Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Testimony - My Say ~ Vanessa

Hey guys, here’s my wee testimony (although very much overdued..oops sorry boss!) Anyway, here it is (better late than never! ). It was the Easter period of 2007 and I was in my final year of university in Glasgow. That year, the church I served at organised an outreach easter event especially targetted to its surrounding neighbourhood. Now, this neighbourhood isn’t the normal pleasant, safe neighbourhood where you’ll often see ‘lil old ladies sipping tea in their gardens, everyone walking about all smiling etc… in fact, you’ll see the total opposite. Crime rate, drugs, alcohol and juvenile crimes were high. Amidst all this taking place, our church geared up our members to give out flyers to invite people to our easter event.

I remember that evening very clearly. It was rather chilly as spring had just arrived and the night had just set in. We set out in groups, each assigned to cover the grounds of different blocks. I was assigned with my cell leader and after prayer with the rest of the team at church, we eagerly set out. I must admit……. I was terrified! (haha now can admit lar.. at that time, just have to ‘tahan’). I will never forget the first doorbell we rang. As the door opened, smoke and the smell of alcohol greeted us. We could see that the man who answered the door was rather tipsy as hehad trouble balancing himself. Nevertheless, we warmly invited him to our easter event and gave him a flyer. The night continued on with more and more of such scenes and I realised how much these people needed God. They just didn’t know it themselves.

The night was getting late and we were at our last door. We rang the doorbell and to our surprise, a cheerpy lady opened the door. With her strong Glaswegian accent, she asked “ Are you all from the church down the road with the pretty Easter mural? I was just looking at it today and here you all are! Come , come in!” (wow! Talk about God-sent , huh?) We went in and had a good chat with her. Everything seemed to fall into place. Even if all the doorbells we rang before this came to nothing, and our only mission that night was to reach out to this lady, it was worth it! After all, God does work in mysterious ways, doesn’t He?!

The easter event that year was a blast! And many turned up. Praise God! Since then, the church has grown in leaps and bounds and today it has expanded tremendously (yeap….expansion to the current building had to be done!)

I really praise God for allowing me to experience all of this. It amazes me that He allows ordinary people like ourselves to be involved in His bigger plan. He can bring people to Himself without us but yet He chooses to call us into partnership with Him.Wow!!!!

So to all you youths out there….don’t look down at the simple things God calls you to do…..like giving out flyers. You can be apart of His BIG PLAN! God bless!

No comments: