Thursday, December 17, 2009

Working Hard

Earlier this year, I went to the gym for a month and my favourite equipments there were the treadmill and the exercise bike. I liked how both of these equipments have different settings, for example when I was on the treadmill, I could programme it for an uphill walk, so you'd actually work your muscles more. The same goes for the bike. I also discovered an additional setting in the bike, which is a random course. You'd start cycling on a flat surface when suddenly you feel you're going uphill so you'd have to use more energy to pedal the bike. And you start to huff and puff as you struggle up the hill when you reach the top of the hill and you start to gain momentum going downhill. You get the picture now, of course. That's why it's called random, duh!

So anyway, what's my point? I'm getting there. I was doing my quiet time tonight and the scripture was from Romans 7:13-25, where Paul talked about doing the things he doesn't want to do and not doing the things he wants to do. Read it for yourself. As I was thinking over these verses, the exercise bike came to mind. Sometimes when we ride a bike, we like to coast, you know, let the momentum carry us along rather than cycling? But as the bike loses momentum we would then have to start pedaling again to get back the speed we were at before we started to coast. So it is in our spiritual lives, sometimes we like to be carried along by the momentum, to be on a spiritual high, maybe after a youth camp, or a HS weekend and we can risk losing momentum, of going downhill. Then we'd have to start pedaling all over again.

Our spiritual lives take work. After God saves us through Christ, we must "work out" our salvation - not to earn it but to bring our thoughts and actions into agreement with His purpose. Let us not coast in our spiritual lives, but realise that it takes hard work and perseverance to run this race that is set out before us.

No comments: