Monday, January 19, 2009

Cure For Home Sickness - The Good

The fun stuff about being in KL? There are many things to write about, especially being there in 46C Lorong Merbau.. let me weed out the uninteresting and boring stuff.. read on..

Food
The food there is the absolute best (is that even correct?), let me start.. the corner shop at our block has the most amazing chicken rice/char sau/sau nyuk, sau ap and I find my feet going in there automatically most days. And you know you are a regular customer when the guy chopping up the roasted meat greets and asks you, "the usual?" (which happens to be chicken and char sau rice ~ what can I say, I'm predictable). When I was extra hardworking and studied till 5am, I can hear the guys opening the shop and then the smell of those roasted meat would come wafting up to my room.. what agony to have to wait till lunch before tasting it! Then, every Wednesday, and only Wednesdays, the other stall sells Wong Chiu Gai rice. I'm drooling as I write this.. it's the best! Now, being a student, our sleeping/studying hours are all topsy turvy and it's nothing extraordinary to sleep at 2am and wake up 12pm and beyond, right? Now, every Tuesday night, I gotta set my alarm clock to wake up at 11am.. just so I can buy wong chiu gai rice on Wednesday, it was that laku!

Talking about waking up early, if I have a hankering for Nasi Lemak, I gotta wake up even earlier, at say 9am to get in line to buy the Nasi Lemak from a stall outside 7-11, located at the next block. Woooh.. I tapau 2 packets and I gotta lick the spoon, it was that yummy! (Oops, crap, did I just reveal more than I should?). Just beside the Nasi Lemak stall, is a shop selling economy rice, I think called Tian Tian Restaurant. Why do I remember that place? Cos their food is nice, a lot of variety, cheap but portions are little, and everytime I eat there, the wife will be scolding the husband (you good for nothing, useless bum, waste my money... you get the picture) and she doesn't care who hears that. So I learnt to tune out those unsavoury stuff while eating, or learnt speed eating, although I can't beat Vincent lah.

Now walking further down, there is this Ngiu Chap stall beside the Multi Purpose Hall (heck, I didn't even realised it was a multi purpose hall from all the years eating there, it was always the Ngiu Chap!) which had minced beef at the top, served with black chopsticks. I don't eat this that often cos it wasn't cheap. Across the street was a Bubur Cha Cha stall manned by a guy with 2 wives. The younger one helped him with the Bubur Cha Cha, the other one manned (or should I call it wo-manned? haha) the kin-chi rice stall. Bubur Cha Cha was a favourite on Sundays, when we splurged out.

So, Sundays, we'd go to the Pasar Malam for some Tiufu Fa.. and the Kap Piang. You gotta get the right stall since there are 2 stalls there. Kap Piang.. when we first got there, we asked the locals there where can we get that.. no one had heard of it before, until we realised it was called 'Chin Loong Pau (Cantonese)'... Kap Piang by any other name is still Kap Piang...

Hahaha... oops.. the good is always about food huh? Don't worry.. I'll continue on some other fun stuff besides food... to be continued. p/s I'm starving after writing this...

No comments: