Monday, January 19, 2009

Cure For Home Sickness - The Tour

Doug asked me write something about home sickness and that got me thinking.. what can I write about that'll help him overcome his home sickness.. I can't think of anything except to relate my experience being away from home.

I went over to KL study at the time when my 2 brothers were already studying there, so I got a room in their apartment. Actually, I shouldn't call it that, apartment. It's more like shop lot .. like those you see in Segama. So, first time I walked up those dark steps, with its grimy green walls, I didn't have a good feeling about it. The front door opened to reveal more grimy green walls, and green tiles too! Aiyo.. I can't even begin to describe how it was like.. but I'll try ok? You all gotta use your imagination here.. think shop lot.

You open the front door to see the living room, with sofa and a big tv that doesn't work. There are 2 rooms off the living room, one which houses 4 working ladies, and the other a guy. The doors are green (what's with the green colour anyway?). Then you turn the other way to a corridor about 30 feet in length. The first door on the right is the kitchen (the only room that ain't green) which looks grimy, 2nd and 3rd rooms on right are the toilets (one has a shower, the other a water storage tank) and the 4th room, was my room (guess the colour.. yup.. green) and I shared that with another working girl. She's very clean and I must say I enjoyed having a clean room cos she'd mop the floor daily. Then you continue walking the corridor to the last room which was my brothers' room, and the biggest and nicest one of them all. It has a balcony there which looks out to the back lane and the next block of shops. That's the tour of the place.. Now.. along the corridor is where we hang our washing and we can see our next door neighbour at the next shop lot. It's an empty space that allows us to chat and greet our neighbours.

So that was the place I was going to call home for the next few years. I burst into tears...

to be continued....

No comments: