Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Lent

This is the season of Lent, where we remember the suffering and death of Christ. We normally associate Lent as a season of soberness, of prayer and fasting, about self-control. I seem to fast more during this period than any other times of the year, and pray more earnestly. Today, I want to share about a guy and his month of Lent.

Two weeks ago, I picked him up to go youth meeting and we got to talking about Lent. He mentioned that his friend told him about Lent and that he (the friend) was fasting for the whole month. No meat for a month. So this friend of mine got to thinking about fasting too. He prayed and decided that he was going to fast from Dota. For this whole season of Lent, he wasn't going to play Dota. He mentioned that the first few days, it was very difficult. But as the days went by, it got easier. And he suddenly found that he had a lot of time on his hands. One day he actually went to sleep at 10pm (which was probably really foreign!) because he had nothing else to do after finishing his homework! I asked him again last Saturday how was his progress and he is still on course of not playing Dota. I am sure he must have gotten flak and teasing and tempting from his Dota playing friends.

I admire him. When he first mentioned it to me, I was really impressed because I know for a lot of the guys, playing Dota means a lot to them. So much so that they are willing to save their lunch money just to play, so much so that they are willing to ignore their homework, their chores just to play. And so much so that they are willing to disobey their parents so they can go to cyber and play. I am not pointing fingers here, but I know and believe there are guys out there who have done the things I've just written about. My friend chose to fast from Dota and I know that must not have been easy. I admire your decision, Luiz, and I know God will honour those who honour Him. You go, man! For all the guys who have teased him about stopping Dota, I encourage you to support him instead, and to think about fasting from something that you love as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

@_@ its hard to fast from something that you really like to do.... o well... guess we have to wait then...